The 12 Worst Questions Asked by Australian Media at Snoop Dogg’s Only Australian Press Conference
by Bianca Valentino
Thursday I attended US hip-hop personality Snoop Dogg’s only Australian press conference for the release of latest album Doggumentary, held at the Jupiters Hotel & Casino Penthouse Suite on the Gold Coast.
In attendance were journalists from publications The Sunday-Mail, The Gold Coast Bulletin, MX, Label Magazine, the street press and more alongside various other media outlets including Nine News, Hit List TV and Hot Tomato radio.
We were briefed before the conference in regards to what was appropriate to ask:
• You will be required to ask music related questions based on the album while attending the media conference.
And what wasn’t:
• No questions related to illegal activity are to be asked at the media conference.
• No questions related to visas are to be asked at the media conference.
• Don’t ask questions about fashion or shopping was also added to that list just before the conference commenced.
I was told to arrive at the venue at 1pm for a 2pm start. Snoop arrived on ‘urban time’ as the conference’s MC put it, at around 3pm. The catered sandwiches and couture cakes were a nice distraction from the wait — kudos to the casino kitchen!
With an introduction of “He’s a father, a coach, a business man, a TV star, a movie star, a music and movie producer, a Twit-aholic with more than 3.1 million Twitter fans, an ambassador, an icon and a fellow Libran — he is Snoop Dogg”, coupled with the fact that his latest album has guest appearances and collaborations from the likes of Kanye West, Willie Nelson, Gorillaz, George Clinton and Bootsy Collins, Luther Vandross, Scott Storch, Battlecat and more on 17 out of 21 tracks – one would think there’s a great deal of interesting questions one could ask.
Here is a list of what the Australian media came up with (remember this was Snoop’s ONLY Australian media access granted) aka ‘The 12 Worst Questions Asked by Australian Media at Snoop Dogg’s Only Australian Press Conference’:
1. If you were working in a record store, how would you sell the album to someone that was just about to buy it?
2. We’re lovin’ the new single ‘Sweat’ with David Guetta, we want to know what makes Snoop Dogg sweat?
3. Would you rather lick Vegemite off a dingo’s nose or eat kangaroo testicles?
4. Snoop Dogg you are pretty cool no one would disagree on that but what is the most uncool thing about you that we wouldn’t know?
5. We heard yesterday in Southport that you boys dropped $25,000 at a shop, how much are you looking to drop in Nimbin (a haven for Australia’s counterculture with a high tolerance for cannabis plant) later on your trip?
6. Dr Dre has been one of the hardest working men in hip hop over the years, I’m curious as to how he has influenced your career? (It’s a well-known fact Snoop was one of Dre’s most notable protégés)
7. Through your career what has been most significant, being on the cover of High Times or being on the cover of Rolling Stone? (The answer: High Times)
8. How can you stay so skinny when you live so phat?
9. Any plans to collaborate with Australian artists like say, Kylie Minogue?
10. First of all I like the song ‘Take You Home’ that you did with Too Short, what do you think about the Australian girls and do you think you’re gonna be taking any of them home while you’re ’ere?
11. I’m from Melbourne so I am an AFL fan, my team is Collingwood and we’re going for back-to-back premierships as the L.A. Lakers are and I know you have a close relationship with Russell Crowe – he’s a Rabbitohs man – I just wanted to know, in the two codes of football in Australia is there anything that you’ve taken back for your teams in your league?
12. Did you get an invite to the Royal Wedding? (Snoop did score an invite but he commented he’s not going because he’ll be barbequing that day)
9 Responses to The 12 Worst Questions Asked by Australian Media at Snoop Dogg’s Only Australian Press Conference